The Music Ministry at First Presbyterian Church of Sarasota offers an exciting array of ensembles to involve all ages. Contact our Director of Music Ministries Steven Phillips at 941-955-8119, ext. 124, or email SPhillips@firstpressarasota.org for additional information and/or to find out how you can get involved.
New Song Praise Band
The New Song Praise Band is a contemporary group led by Steven Phillips at the 9:00 a.m. New Song Service, with guitar, keyboard, and drums.
First Presbyterian Choir
The First Presbyterian Choir is primarily a volunteer ensemble that rehearses in the Forum on Wednesdays from 7:15 to 9:00 p.m. and at 10:00 a.m. on Sundays before singing at the 11:00 a.m. worship service. They sing a wide variety of repertoire and present two or three special choral events/concerts during the year. New members are always very welcome. Please contact the Director of Music for more information or simply turn up for a Wednesday rehearsal at 7:15 p.m. See below for concerts and special music throughout the year as well for more information about The Choir Scholarship Program for high school and college students.
The Handbell Choir consists of congregational members of all ages. They rehearse on Wednesdays from 6:00 to 7:15 p.m. and participate in church services once a month. The handbell choir ring five octaves of Malmark handbells and four octaves of handchimes. The handbells can be heard in worship services once a month from October through April. Rehearsals are on a Wednesday evening from 6pm-7pm. Anyone interested in more information should contact Handbell Director John Yost at 941-321-3151. New members are always welcome.
The Children’s Choir (grades K-5) participates in worship on special occasions. The children of First Presbyterian meet together to sing as part of their Sunday morning program. They learn songs together which they present in worship services each term and on special occasions. Open to all children (preschool through grade 5).
Jubilation Brass of First Presbyterian Church is our resident brass sextet. The ensemble is featured periodically throughout the year during the 11:00 a.m. traditional worship services held in the sanctuary.
Concerts and Special Music
- October 25 | 11am | Worship with Jubilation Brass and FPC Choir
- November 15 | 11am | Worship with Handbells and FPC Choir
- November 22 | 11am | Worship with Children’s Choir and FPC Choir
- November 22 | 7pm Interfaith Thanksgiving celebrating Music & Prayer
- December 13 | 4pm | Christmas Festival of Carols with FPC Choir and Handbells click here to download
- December 24 | 7pm | Christmas Eve worship with Harp and FPC Choir
- January 17 | 11am Worship with Jubilation Brass and FPC Choir
- January 22 (Fri) | 7pm | Douane College Choir in Concert
- January 24 | 11am | Worship with Handbells and FPC Choir
- February 7 | 11am Worship with Jubilation Brass and FPC Choir
- February 21 | 11am Worship with Handbells and FPC Choir
- March 8 | 7pm | Music for Lent: Requiem Gabriel Fauré, FPC Choir with Strings and Harp
- March 20 (Palm Sunday) | 11am Worship with Handbells and FPC Choir
- March 27 (Easter Day) | 11am Worship with Jubilation Brass and FPC Choir
- April 24 | 11am | Worship with Handbells and FPC Choir
- May 8 (Mother’s Day) | 11am | Worship with Jubilation Brass and FPC Choir
Choir Scholarship Program
First Presbyterian Church is pleased to offer a number of Choral Scholarships to students who enjoy their singing and wish to develop their vocal skills and work with an experienced group of singers. Scholarships are open to college students and high school seniors. Scholars will soon develop sight-reading skills and sing a wide range of sacred choral music spanning from early polyphony through to contemporary compositions. Scholarships are valued at $200 per month and run from October through April. Auditions are held in September each year.
Please contact the Director of Music for further information:
Tel: 941 955-8119, ext. 124
The 2016/2017 Scholars
Brandon Weiss tenor